Monday, May 9, 2011

Muffin Tin Monday - Horsing Around

I've always loved the idea of using a children's book as the inspiration for Muffin Tin Monday - I've admired lots of tins others have done, but I've never been quite inspired enough by a particular book to do it myself. Until now.

My daughter's newest book is also her newest favourite book: Chicken, Pig, Cow Horse Around.
I have to say, I kind of love it too - it's so very cute, and has a lovely message about making and including new friends. Chicken Pig and Cow are best friends - then one day, along comes Horse. And Chicken isn't too happy about it. She plays a trick on Horse, but then regrets it and, with the help of the others, comes to his rescue. Something to note: in the background of the pictures in this book, Girl (the human who owns the animals, which are all toys) has a new baby sibling. This is never mentioned, but Horse first appears on the same page as our first sighting of the new baby. In the last picture, when all the animals have become friends, the background shows Girl holding the baby. Clearly then, the "including-new-people" message is intended to extend to new siblings, but I would call this so subtle as to be almost subliminal. I didn't even notice it until the third time I read the book, and I'm quite sure The Muffin still hasn't noticed (although she now knows the book by heart). So not sure how useful it would be in that respect, but it's still a gorgeous book.

So anyway, here is our Chicken, Pig, Cow Horse Around Muffin Tin:


Top Row: Jam sandwich Horse with cheese mane (this is copied from a picture in the book. It is Horse's face and front hoof - he is lying on the floor, looking at Chicken); Cheese Chicken; Grapes.

Bottom Row: Rice cracker Cow; Easter egg Goldfish (some of the story occurs in and around the fishbowl); Rice cracker and ham Pig.

The After Shot:


As you can see, The Muffin was very excited about this tin, and also liked everything in it. I'll try something a bit more challenging for her next week I think! ;o)


To see what other mummies did this week, go to The Muffin Tin Mom's blog.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

What an awesome tin! I love all the creatures great and small.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I can see why she loved it - so cute!

SnoopyGirl said...

Too cute for words my dear! These animals are just precious. I will have to look for that book.

Becky at Fakin It said...

Such a cute lunch! Did you have cookie cutters for all those shape's?

Tonya Hache said...

That is an AWESOME meal!!! Great job, such wonderful creativity!!

Sugary Flower said...

Thanks everyone!
Becky: Horse was the only one I cut by hand with a knife. I used a small bird-shaped metal cookie cutter (it was in my Christmas set, so I'm guessing it's meant to be a peace dove or something) to make Chicken - I just squeezed the cutter first to make it a fatter shape. I also used the tail of this to make Pig's ears. Pig was made with two different sized round cutters. Cow was made with one of my daughter's playdough cutters (I know - don't judge me - I did wash it, and besides TECHNICALLY playdough is edible, right??)

Ruth Ohi said...

Dear Sugary Flower,
These are incredible! Wow. And I'm so thrilled that your daughter enjoys 'Horse Around'!! The characters were inspired by my own daughter who made them out of playclay when she was little. Chicken, Pig, Cow and Horse look like they love their new muffin tin home! Can't wait to show my daughter. Best wishes, Ruth Ohi

Sugary Flower said...

Wow, indeed! Thank you so much, Ms Ohi - wait until my daughter hears, she'll be thrilled! I'm feeling all star-struck now...!

Debbie Ridpath Ohi said...

This is SO FABULOUS! I love it. May I have your permission to post the picture on my creativity blogs?

Debbie

Sugary Flower said...

Thank you so much! You are welcome to post the picture, provided you give me credit for it (a link back to this post would be nice too, if possible) - and I'd love it if you'd let me know so I can come and have a look! :o)
Seriously, I am so honoured that you and your sister made the time to look at my little blog, and comment on it!

Debbie Ridpath Ohi said...

Yes, I will definitely include credit and a link back to your blog each time I post it somewhere (and will let you know).

Thanks so much. :-)

Ruth Ohi said...

Dear Sugary Flower,
I've created a link from my website (www.RuthOhi.com) on the main page (and blogreviews page) to your site--I hope this is okay! I think Chicken, Pig, Cow People would love a peek at your beautiful work. My daughters loved it! Best, Ruth

Debbie Ridpath Ohi said...

Posted about this at:
http://debbieohi.com/blatherings/2011/5/27/chicken-pig-cowin-a-muffin-tin.html

Thanks again!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...