Monday, August 8, 2011

Muffin Tin Monday - The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Lately The Muffin has been loving The Very Hungry Caterpillar book, by Eric Carle. So today I decided to do a Very Hungry Caterpillar Muffin Tin Meal.

In the book, the little caterpillar eats:

One apple:


Two pears:
Three plums, Four strawberries:


Five Oranges:


And on the sixth day, he eats a feast, and has a tummyache...


On the seventh day, he eats a nice green leaf, and is no longer a little tiny caterpillar, but a great big one:


Our whole tin:

Top Row: One (slice of) apple; Two (pieces of) pears; Three "plums" (actually three pieces of date, as I thought I had prunes, but didn't) and Four strawberries (actually four strawberry halves, so two in total).

Bottom Row: Five (segments of) oranges; One slice of salami, one piece of (not-so-Swiss) cheese, a lollipop from The Muffin's loot bag stash; One nice green (spinach) leaf and a rice cracker & Vegemite caterpillar.

The After Shot:

No big shock here. She likes all these foods anyway, and she very much enjoyed munching through the tin in the same order as the caterpillar does in the book. I read the book to her as she went, stopping to give her time to keep up with the caterpillar!

To see what other muffin tin mums are doing this week, check out the original Muffin Tin Mom's blog.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Your caterpillar is so cute! Wonderful lunch!

Niki said...

Great idea! We're also a fan of the book and I may have to borrow this idea in the future. I love getting new ideas!

Jamie said...

We love this book, too. What a fun and creative lunch, I love it!

Sweet Carolina Grace said...

Very cute!

Sharla said...

That is so cute! My kids love that book and you did a great job of recreating it! Would you mind if I put a link to this on my Muffin Tin Monday post next week? Let me know.

I just think it is adorable! Great job!

P.S. How did you make the caterpillar shape?

sara d. said...

love this idea! thanks for sharing!

Sugary Flower said...

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments! Sharla - I'd be honoured if you decide to link to my post! And the caterpillar was done with a cookie cutter like this one: http://www.karenscookies.net/Caterpillar-Cookie-Cutter_p_850.html

Anonymous said...

Totally cute. Very Hungry Caterpillar is on my list of themes...I love how yours turned out :)

Abby said...

This is such a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...